Pesticide Importation Regulation
(2013 Amended Regulations; CR Vol 35 No 9)
DEQ regulates the importation of pesticides in the Commonwealth. Importation of any banned or misbranded pesticide or pesticide device is a violation of these regulations under § 5.1.1. Importation of any unregistered pesticide, but not pesticide device, is a violation of these regulations.
Any banned, misbranded or unregistered pesticide, any pesticide device without an establishment number, or any pesticide shipment otherwise not in compliance with these pesticide regulations, may be detained, or denied entry to the extent permitted by law, by the DEQ Director or by Customs Officers, or Agricultural Quarantine Officers.
Notice of Intent to Import (NOI)
A Notice of Intent to Import is required for the following:
- any restricted use pesticide (RUP) from any country into the CNMI.
- any pesticide or pesticide device manufactured in or shipped by or through a foreign country.
- any termiticide, including those used for crack, crevice, and spot treatment.
- any pesticide used to control pests on fruit and/or vegetable crops or other agricultural products.
- pesticides used for fumigation, hospital grade disinfection, and commercial purposes.
NOIs are not required for establishments that may import Calcium Hypochlorite, Trichloro-S-Trianzinetrione, Sodium Bromide, Sodium Hypochlorite and related items; household disinfectants and anti-bacterial chemicals (such as Clorox bleach, 409, Pine Sol, etc.) or household insecticides (such as Black Flag, Raid, etc.).
The Notice of Intent to Import indicates important information of each pesticide and how the importer intends to use the pesticide. DEQ will ensure that such use complies with the law, prior to arrival of the pesticide.
How to Submit the NOI:
- Email the NOI form to DEQ Pesticide Program with copiesof the MSDS and label for each pesticide.
- DEQ will approve or disapprove the request, after verifying information.
- Upon receiving an email approval, the pesticide or device may be ordered or shipped.
No payment is required with the electronic NOI.
Submission of all Notice of Arrival (NOA):
Importer shall continue with submission of paper/carbon copy NOAs with appropriate payment for each pesticide.
- General Use Pesticide (GUP): $15 per shipment.
- Restricted Use Pesticide (RUP): $50 per shipment.
For NOA forms please contact BECQ at (670)-664-8500
Last Updated 5/19/2016